Tent London and The Lightbox are delighted to announce that The Art Fund Pavilion 2009 will be designed by Tina Manis Associates.
|Category||Project Competition / Open to Students / Competition Result|
|Type||International, Project, Open, Two-Stage|
|RegDeadline||3 March 2009 GoogleCal iCal|
|3 March 2009 (Must be Received)|
The objective of The Art Fund Pavilion architecture competition is to provide The Lightbox with a semi-permanent summer pavilion which will sit alongside their RIBA award-winning building by Marks Barfield Architects.
The pavilion will first be shown during the London Design Festival 2009 as part of Tent London and will then travel home to The Lightbox, Woking’s new gallery and museum.
• Maximum pavilion footprint: 35 square metres, which can be situated in any place within the red lines indicated on the Lightbox Canal courtyard pdf plan. Maximum height: 4 metres.
• Illustrate your design as being used in each of the following 3 scenarios:
As an exhibition space with 8 x A1 size wall-mounted pieces, 6 x plinth-based pieces (500 L x 500 W x 900 H mm) and 4 x floor-standing pieces (1sqm each) allowing space for circulation.
As a formal presentation space for up to 30 persons seated.
As an informal gathering or party space
• Your design must be able to be assembled in 72 hrs and disassembled in 24 hrs.
• The pavilion will be transported and stored, therefore your design should include practical considerations for disassembly and reassembly i.e. stackable components, modularity, longevity.
• Your structure should maximise the inside/outside qualities of a pavilion.
• Include an interior and exterior power and lighting diagram for your pavilion.
David Barrie, Director of the Art Fund
Jimmy MacDonald, Director of Tent London
Julia Barfield, Director of Marks Barfield Architects
Kieran Long, Editor of the Architects' Journal
Marilyn Scott, Director of The Lightbox
Nick Wilson & Bruce Bell, Directors of Facit
Sarah Ichioka, Director of the Architecture Foundation
Wayne Hemingway, Hemingway Design
The winning design will be built with funding by The Art Fund Prize.
4 x A2 boards
The Art Fund Pavilion I c/o Tent London Ltd I Shoreditch Town Hall, 380 Old Street, London EC1V 9LT I
Five short-listed applicants will be notified: 12 March 2009
The shortlisted entries will be exhibited at The Lightbox: 4-5 April 2009
The winner will be announced: 6 May 2009
Winner will prepare for public appearance at Tent London from 24-27 September 2009 during the London Design Festival and for the launch event at The Lightbox summer 2010
Tent London, The Lightbox