|Type||Architectr Project Competition|
|RegDeadline||28 January 2008 GoogleCal iCal|
|28 January 2008 (Must be Received)|
Expressions of Interest are invited for the appointment of a Concept Designer to develop the overarching vision for the building envelope and atrium roof that will define the external form to the £550m redevelopment of New Street Station, Birmingham. Its design will need to act as the catalyst for the transformation of the station, such that it is seen as more than just a functional entity, but becomes an integral part of the city and reflects the aspirations of modern day Birmingham. The Concept Designer will also be responsible for the building’s integration with the surrounding area, generating ideas for the station’s new central atrium roof, since it is likely to be surrounded by tall buildings, as well as informing the brief for new public spaces and possible art works associated with the redevelopment. A provisional sum of £30m (Q2 2005 prices) has been allocated for the atrium space and external façade works. Although the external envelope may help to inform the interior, the detailed reconfiguration of the station, its organisational structure and operation has been the subject of a previous contract. The Concept Designer will be required to develop their vision in conjunction with an Integrated Project Team that will primarily comprise Network Rail, a Delivery Partner and a Lead Consultant. The Lead Consultant will be an engineeering led company.
The Jury Panel will consist of a representative from each Funding Partner, Network Rail, a Panel Chair and the RIBA appointed advisor (Christophe Egret, Studio Egret West).
Stage 1: Review Expression of Interest documents. Shortlist of up to six design/architectural practices.
Stage 2: Anonymous review of architectural models. Final presentations to Jury Panel.
Criteria for selection
• Design quality, flair and inventiveness of previous work
• Experience in designing and delivering similar large scale projects
• Skills and resources to develop the vision
• Response and compliance with this Preliminary Briefing Paper
• Response to site, context and Design Brief
• Ability to deliver a design of the highest architectural quality
• Ability to work in partnership with the Integrated Project Team
• Ability to maintain a strong architectural language for the scheme
• Proposal of an economic fee structure
Winner: Design Commission
Designer invited to Stage Two: GBP £10,000
Expression of Interest document (excerpt):
- Details and brief CV’s of key individuals who would be responsible for developing the Concept Vision with the Integrated Project Team.
- Details of relevant or similar experience (including images as appropriate). These can be for on-going and completed projects, as well as examples of previous competition submissions, but the current status of each project must be clearly stated.
- Motivation for applying for the position of Concept Designer and any specialist skills the practice is able to provide - for example design of public buildings, experience of working within a transport infrastructure environment etc.
- Indication of the practice’s turnover for the past three years (where applicable).
- Details of the practice’s current level of Professional Indemnity Insurance (including any ongoing or recent claims).
- Details of the practice’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Contact details for three past clients (practices will be notified in advance if references are to be taken up).
- The Company Sustainability Policy relating to the areas of social, economic and environmental factors.
Short-listed teams notified by telephone and issued with Design Brief / Tender Documents: 8 February 2008
Site visit & briefing day for short-listed teams: 18 February 2008
Submission of architectural models / Concept sketches: 8 April 2008
Anonymous review of architectural models: 10 April 2008
Final presentations to Jury Panel: 11 April 2008
Teams notified of Jury Panel decision: W/c 14 April 2008
Contract Award: W/c 28 April 2008
New Street Gateway partnership: Network Rail; Birmingham City Council; Advantage West Midlands; Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive) and the Department for Transport (DfT)