|Category||Idea Competition / Open to Students|
|Type||International, Idea, Open, Single-Stage, Anonymous|
|Genre||Architecture, Art, Landscape|
|RegDeadline||5 April 2017 GoogleCal iCal|
|5 April 2017 (via Online)|
As part of the BUILDING VOICES festival, we are launching a single-stage international design competition seeking innovative design solutions that address Hawai’i’s unique geographic location, cultural richness, global visibility, and ecological diversity.
The competition aims to:
- Highlight prototypical solutions for the built environment that generate a positive impact for the natural world.
- Celebrate designs that foster a deeper understanding of the unique context(s) of the Hawaiian archipelago.
- Spotlight hybrid projects that impact and benefit multiple populations.
- Foster communication between designers, political institutions and the larger community through catalytic projects.
- Recognize design that says “What is good for Hawai’i, is good for the world.”
Submissions should draw knowledge from multiple disciplines, including architecture, product design, engineering, service design, landscape architecture, urban design and others.
Entrants to the BUILDING VOICES DESIGN COMPETITION are tasked with selecting one of four sites to deploy their design concepts. Three are physical sites, located in the city of Honolulu, that span from Mauka to Makai. The fourth site is reserved for concepts that are not bound to one location and can span across O‘ahu or the entire archipelago.
As an “ideas competition”, none of the specific sites will be developed for proposals, rather they are representative of conditions, constraints and opportunities that occur across Honolulu County and Hawai‘i.
Not yet announced
First prize: $5,000
Second prize: $2,500
Third prize: $1,000
Free for students (with valid ID)
Winners Announced on Earth Day: 22 Apr 2017
HIDesign, The School of Architecture at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa, and the University of Hawai’i Community Design Center in partnership with AIA Honolulu, Hawaii ASLA, AIAS Hawai’i UH Manoa, US Green Building Council Hawai’i, UH Office of Sustainability