Have a Nice Day! (HAND)
- Per Kaatman, Johan Zetterholm, Emil Lundh and Jonas Tjader
- Candidates for Undergraduate of Architecture, Chalmers Tekniska Hogskola (Chalmers University of Technology)
- Supervised by Bjorn Gross, Arctic Studio, Goteborg
2ND PLACE (TIE)
- Jeff Cogliati, Steven Mauro, Johnathan Pascaris, Karl van Es
- Candidates for the Master of Architecture Program, Ryerson University
- Supervised by Marco Polo, Professor, Ryerson University
- Daniel Wojcik, Jordan Willett, Nicole LeBlanc
- Candidates for Bachelor of Environmental Design and Master of Architecture, Dalhousie University
- Supervised by Solterre Design, WHW Architects, and Dumac Energy
|Category||Idea Competition / Open to Students / Competition Result|
|Type||International, Idea, Students, Single-Stage|
|RegDeadline||16 October 2009 GoogleCal iCal|
|28 December 2009 (Must be Received) GoogleCal|
|Eligibility||Any student enrolled in a program of architecture or one of the allied disciplines (engineering, interior design, planning, landscape architecture)|
The competition site is located on the campus of Ryerson University in the heart of downtown Toronto. The residence building is intended to provide housing and related facilities for a representative cross section of the University’s population, including students, faculty, administrative staff, and visiting scholars. The site and competition brief call for creative thinking in terms of the conception of affordable, high-rise accommodation for university campuses situated in dense and somewhat edgy inner-city conditions. Among other considerations, participants are asked to reflect on and respond to the following questions: As the idea of the university has changed over time, has the idea of the university residence building changed along with it? Can the design of a university residence building enhance overall the student learning experience? Can it help to build community more broadly? And can the design of a university residence building act as a catalyst for positive change and renewal of the urban environment?
James Timberlake of KieranTimberlake (Philadelphia), Anne Cormier of Atelier Big City (Montreal), Ken Greenberg of Greenberg Consultants (Toronto), Samantha Sannella of the Design Exchange (Toronto), and Kendra Schank Smith of Ryerson University’s program in architecture (Toronto).
1st Prize: CDN5,000
2nd Prize: CDN3,000
3rd Prize: CDN2,000
The Jury may also award a number of Honourable Mentions.
single CD (not to exceed 20MB) a maximum of three (3) panels digitally formatted to “A1” size.
The Competition Coordinator
REZ Student Design Competition
234 Bay Street
Toronto ON M5K 1B2 Canada
T: (416) 363-6121
EXHIBITION: The Design Exchange intends to mount an exhibition of some or all REZ submissions during the winter of 2010
Ryerson University, Design Exchange