|Category||Project Competition / Open to Students|
|Type||International, Project, Open, Single-Stage , Onymous|
|RegDeadline||5 December 2014 GoogleCal iCal|
|5 December 2014 (via Online)|
Although the Beaches neighbourhood of Toronto is a summer long festival of colour and pageantry, this is not true of the winter months. This year we begin what we hope will become an expanded annual celebration of Toronto's winter landscape, focusing on the intersection between land and water.
We are beginning with the Kew, Scarborough and Balmy Beaches located in the heart of the Beach community, broadly located south of Queen Street East, between Woodbine and Victoria Park Avenues. Located on the beach between the Leuty Lifeguard Station and the Balmy Beach Club are five evenly spaced metal life guard stands. These utilitarian structures are to be used as the armature or foundation for pieces of public art. The pieces are temporary installations and need to be able to withstand the rigours of Toronto winter weather. They are to be installed February 16, 2015 until March 20, 2015.
Peter Hargraves, MAA, OAA, RAIC, Sputnik Architecture
Christopher Hume, Architect and Urban Affairs Critic, Toronto Star
Shauna Levy, President, Design Exchange
Mary Margaret McMahon, Ward Councillor, City of Toronto
Programming Director, No.9: Contemporary Art and the Environment
The budget for the creation and construction of each installation is $15,000.00 (CAD). This budget is to be divided in the following fashion:
- $3,500.00 CAD for the designer's honorarium.
- Up to $6,500.00 CAD (including taxes) for the purchase of materials and/or the employment of consultants necessary for the realization of the project. This budget will be jointly managed by the designer and the organizers.
- Up to $3,500.00 CAD for labour costs for the construction.
- Up to $1,500.00 CAD for Construction Management contracted by the organizers.
- A separate budget for travel and accommodation of up to $1,500.00 CAD is available for applicants outside of the greater Toronto Area.
A maximum of 150 word text describing
4 main views or elevations of the installation
A perspective showing the design
Technical Review, Development of Construction Documentation: December 10, 2014- January 7, 2015
Winners Announced: January 9, 2015
Construction: January 10 - February 12, 2015
Installation and Winners stay in Toronto: February 13 - 16, 2015
Grand Opening: February 16, 2015
Dismantle and Removal: March 22, 2015
RAW Design, Ferris + Associates, Curio