World Habitat Awards 2008/09 - Winners announced!
We are pleased to announce the winners of the 2008 cycle of the World Habitat Awards:
* Building Partnerships to Eradicate Poverty, POLAND
The Barka Foundation for Mutual Help works to house and support homeless and socially marginalised people in Poland, assisting over 50,000 people to date... more
* 'Caprichando a Morada' - COOPERHAF Cooperative, BRAZIL A community-managed rural housing project that aims to address the critical housing needs of low-income rural families whilst working to create sustainable livelihoods... more
The Awards will be presented to the winners at the UN-HABITAT global celebration of World Habitat Day in Washington, D.C. on Monday 5th October 2009.
We would also like to congratulate the nine outstanding finalists:
* Technological Transfer Processes for Popular Habitat
Experimental Centre for Economic Housing/AVE, ARGENTINA
* Sint Antoniuspleintje (St. Anthony’s Square)
Zonnige Kempen, BELGIUM
* Water Solutions through Collective Management
Fundación Pro Hábitat, BOLIVIA
* Earth Roofs for the Sahel
Association la Voute Nubienne, BURKINA FASO
* A New Financing Paradigm for Affordable Home Ownership
Home Ownership Alternatives, CANADA
* Technical Team Planning for Self-Help Housing in Kambi Moto
The Technical Team, KENYA
* Earthsong Eco-Neighbourhood
Co-housing New Zealand, Ltd, NEW ZEALAND
* Social Housing in Supportive Environments (SHSE)
The Housing Center, SERBIA
* ecoMOD Project
University of Virginia School of Architecture, USA
|Category||Award / Competition Result|
|Type||International, Award, Open, Two-Stage|
|RegDeadline||1 June 2009 GoogleCal iCal|
|1 June 2009 (via Online)|
The World Habitat Awards were established in 1985 by the Building and Social Housing Foundation as part of its contribution to the United Nations International Year of Shelter for the Homeless.
Two awards are given annually to projects from the global North as well as the South that provide practical and innovative solutions to current housing needs and problems.
Every year an award of £10,000 is presented to each of the two winners at the annual United Nations global celebration of World Habitat Day. Travel and accommodation costs are also met for one representative of each winning project to attend the awards ceremony.
Not yet announced
Stage I of the submission process requires only a concise summary of the project.
Notification of results for Stage I submissions: August 2009
Deadline for Stage II submission: 1st November 2009
Announcement of winners: August 2010
Presentation of the Awards on World Habitat Day: 4th October 2010
Building and Social Housing Foundation